Knitting Trolls



Screaming Cicadas...

No, that’s not the name of my latest imaginary band – although I think it would be a cool band name. It would have to be an indie/alternative band, though, as Cicada is kind of a intellectual sounding word. It’s too frou frou for a rock band…

No, screaming cicadas are what I’ve been dealing with nightly. Ernie’s latest thing is to capture cicadas out on the balcony and then bring them into the apartment. Who knew I had such a cicada problem out on my balcony? Literally, this is a nightly occurrence. Usually, the cicadas have been maimed and therefore cannot fly so I have to pick them up with paper towels before throwing them outside again. And the cicadas do scream when Ernie catches them – it’s not their usual annoying buzzing sound but literally screaming. Sooooo disturbing…

Growing up in a small town in Kansas, we called them locusts rather than cicadas. I didn’t start calling them cicadas until I moved to KC and realized that’s what everyone else called them. Why did we call them locusts? Was it because we were born in the bible belt and we were used to stories of fire, brimstone and locusts being cast upon the land? According to Wikipedia, cicadas are commonly referred to as locusts although they are unrelated to true locusts (which look more like grasshoppers as you can see below.) I also remember chasing my brother around with the old skins you could find on trees. Aaah, good times…













So there you have it – your biology lesson for today! I have been doing some knitting which I’ll post later on, I promise…

Now if you’ll excuse me, I must go pick up chewed cicada heads off my bathroom rug….

Michelle
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

12:40 PM

As another reformed so. central Kansan, I do recall the whole locust thing - it's a reminder that we're all going to hell because we knit and don't go to church three times a week. Cicadas have no Biblical link...    



» Post a Comment